There is a wide range of job opportunities in the online travel industry. There are so many choices that you can take advantage of and create a market for your own business. Becoming a home-based travel agent is the way for you to go if you are interested in the travel industry and would like to make something out of it.
Before we start, it is important to understand that a home-based travel agent and a work-from-home travel agent are very different from each other. This is something a lot of people get confused about. A work-from-home travel agent you would be operating your own travel agency. Whereas, a home-based travel agent will generally work for a travel supplier as an affiliate.
A good thing about becoming a travel agent is that it is fairly simple to start. Also, as a home-based travel agent, you become an affiliate, which means you have a great degree of freedom in deciding with whom you want to do business.
Advantages Of Becoming A Home-Based Travel Agent
Becoming an online travel agent has its own perks.
- A home-based business is relatively easy to develop and grow. It is a very convenient situation, where you can work from own comfort zone while saving time and space.
- Also, the hours of work you put in is up to you, you can work part-time or full-time. Working as a part-time home-based travel agent can be easily managed along any other job you might have. It’s more like gaining as much as you invest into it.
- It is a great opportunity to earn an additional passive income from your home itself. As a travel agent, you’ll be paid in commissions depending on what you sell and how much of it.
- Sometimes you may get a chance to take a “Familiarization trip”. The cruise lines, hotels and tour guides know that you can sell their services better if you become familiar with them yourself. Along with this they also offer all kinds of perks like discounted fares and opportunities to use their exclusive services.
- If you love traveling and are interesting in making it happen for others more conveniently, here’s your chance to do so. Plus, good business.
How To Become A Home-Based Travel Agent
The next question you might come across is what you would need to do to become a home-based travel agent? Well, let’s find out.
Before starting any new venture, it is very important to make sure that you learn all that is there to know about it. Having thorough knowledge about the industry and a little experience will help you in the long run. The travel industry is filled with a variety of options, knowing about these will aid you in deciding what sort of an agent you want to be.
2. Register Your Business
As a home-based travel agent, it would be a good idea to become an independent business owner. Therefore, once you’ve decided what to name your agency, you should register it and take license as per your local laws.
3. Finding A Travel Supplier
One of the key areas that you should focus on is selecting an appropriate travel supplier that meets your requirements and works extensively in your niche market. Some require an agency to hold an IATA, CLIA or ARC number. Joining any supplier that is a member of IATA, CLIA or ARC will help you use to membership to directly work with consumers and make commissions from your sales. However, it is not mandatory to join a supplier that has said certifications.
4. Niche Market
As a home-based travel agent, you can collaborate with many travel agencies at once. Since connecting with only one travel supplier may not always be enough to increase your consumer base and earn more commissions.
If you select your niche market and familiarize yourself with it, your chances of success get better. Selecting your specific niche market will allow you to specialize in the said market and connect with all kinds of agents to provide the best rates in the market.
Once you’ve set up your business, it is now time to market what you have to offer. Any enterprise requires to be marketed properly to set it in the right direction. Your approach towards the marketing of your services will define the kind of consumers that you receive. Remember, the fact that you will find only 3 kinds of consumers approaching you, namely, financial buyers (ones who look at the expense), technical buyers (ones who look at what all they can achieve), executive buyers ( ones who look at comfort and ease of access). The internet has made this very easy by providing various platforms and tools for marketing your services. Making your website attractive, reaching out to a diverse target audience, and providing personalized customer service is just a start.
These are some basic steps I think you should follow in order to become a home-based travel agent. It is an excellent opportunity for someone who’s been bitten by the travel bug. Need help with it? Get a free consultation with us here.